Friday, January 21, 2011

A night out

I had my first official seminar today. I was looking forward to it, but also a little bit worried as it is a more advanced course and I didn't really know what to expect. There was a lot of reading, which led me back to the library - it is very large and modern, as I said before, and a little intimidating as a result; fortunately I found my way around enough to print things out, take out books, make copies, and check them in again. There are machines where you can check things in and out on your own, which I thought were very cool. The library cafe is very nice too.

Anyways, my seminar...I did the reading, but I ended up having no idea what was going on. I realize it's a topic I've never even heard about until this week, but obviously I missed some important things, because I could barely follow the conversation, let alone participate. Better luck next time, I guess.

Tonight, I went to the theater, thought, so that made things alright. Because I am now a part of the theater appreciation society, I can get discounted tickets, so my first stop was a little up in the air, but it ended up being fine: Swan Lake on Ice. I had never seen a play on ice before (I didn't even know they did plays on ice) but it was apparently the premier theatrical ice company in the world, and all the skaters were obviously quite talented. The choreography was well-done, and over all I enjoyed it. I love Swan Lake in any context anyways, and that was my main motivation for going - that and curiosity. The music gets to me in an unusual way, more than a lot of other things; I mean, I don't have a heart of stone, and I've only seen the ballet a couple of times, but for reasons I'm not even too sure of myself, the music of Swan Lake is, to me, quite special.

No comments:

Post a Comment