Saturday, January 8, 2011

Arrival

Today I arrived in Scotland. It was a fine flight from Boston to London, but when I arrived in Heathrow, I discovered that my flight to Edinburgh had been canceled due to "heavy snow" (3.9 inches, I looked it up later).

So I booked a flight for 2:40 PM, which resulted in a nine hour layover. Literally the longest nine hours of my life, not because of lack of things to do, but because I didn't want to fall asleep in fear that I would sleep through my flight or some other important announcement. I ended up switching locations back and forth across the terminal every couple of hours to keep my surroundings fresh. My the time I finally got on the plane to Edinburgh, I had been awake for 24 hours and promptly fell asleep even before the flight safety performance. But it was a small plane and not very comfy.

There wasn't much exciting after that, but my dorm room is very nice; it is a single, en suit, and looks a bit like a nice hotel room, except with a desk and more shelves. It is in the newest dorm on campus, which was built only two years ago, so it is quite modern, but also cozy, except that the heat doesn't really spread throughout the room. There is also no pillow, so I have had to employ a folded towel for tonight, which is a little sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment