Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cats

Today was the first day I started seriously looking into the work load I have here. The system is different than the American one in that the professors just provide a massive biography list on the topics covered throughout the course, and tell you to read what you'd like to in order to flesh out what we learn in the lectures, which are considered to be more of an overview of the material. There are specific readings for tutorials and seminars, but most of it is self-study. I ended up making a list of the readings that looked most appropriate and general for the topics because that's what I need right now. But I also had my first tutorial, so I got on that reading as well.

I went to go finish it this morning in Starbucks (yes, I know, Starbucks...what can I say? I'm still clinging to whatever I recognize). On my way, I scouted the location of my tutorial, and found a cat sitting on the steps to a chapel two doors down. He was very handsome, black and white, and his two front legs were different colors. A very thick coat too, and very affectionate. We consorted for about 10 minutes before I went to finish my readings over a croissant and peppermint tea.

When I came back for class and hour and a half later, the cat was still there on the steps. I had been secretly hoping he would be. I was early, so I sat on the steps with him for another twenty minutes. Another student stopped to pat him too, and told me she had seen him fall out of a tree one time during the pursuit of a squirrel.

The tutorial went well; I had more class, and then off to the first meeting for Standing Ovation, the theater enthusiast group on campus, which gets discount tickets for its members for shows all over Edinburgh. So this Friday I am off to see Swan Lake on Ice! I have no idea what to expect, but I would find it hard to turn up Swan Lake in any form.

No comments:

Post a Comment