Thursday, January 13, 2011

Settling In

Class was quite good today - we started on specific British medieval history, so it was mostly things I didn't know. It was a lot of fun to learn that much in such a short amount of time.

Also, I saw a man today as I walked back to my dorm, driving a European truck and smoking a pipe. He looked so British.

Last but not least, tonight I went to the first meeting (of the semester) for the Hot Air Balloon Society. Basically I sat in a pub for two hours, because that's where they meet, and chatted with British people. It's the first time I've actually spoken to "natives" since I've been here, and it was a pleasant experience to say the least.

I also took a walk around the Meadows today - very lovely. It is basically a huge lawn right next to the university, divided by paths. It took me 20 minutes to walk the entire length. I walked around them with the purpose of finding the tennis courts, and ended up finding them right next to where I started, after I walked around the entire thing. I'm glad I explored it though, because it's a very peaceful area, smack dab in the middle of the city. There were a lot of dogs around too.

There are also 18 very nice courts, so that was reassuring to discover. And they're free.

No comments:

Post a Comment