Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tennis Adventures

Yesterday I had my first class for my seminar, "Saints and Sea-kings"; it was completely new territory, like my other classes, but even more specific. It was a little intimidating, but the first class was an introduction for everyone, so I was able to absorb a bit of the background history. Also, I met a guy in class who was wearing a shirt for one of my favorite bands; we talked at length before class about Viking and folk metal.

After class the sun was out, so I decided to play tennis and test out these new courts. Racket: check. Shoes: check. Tennis balls: um...didn't bring those with me. But hey, I'm in a city, how hard can it be to find tennis balls?

Very difficult, as it turns out.

After checking multiple stores, I discovered that tennis balls are considered a "seasonal item," and the only ones I found were flat ones intended for dogs. So after an hour, a bit desperate at this point, I suddenly remembered the sports shop I found on my first day on Prince's Street; although they had almost nothing for tennis, they did in face have balls. So I hopped on the bus for the first time and found this store again; they had plenty of tennis balls, so I got a few cans for my serving practice.

Almost two hours later, I managed to get to the Meadows courts, and played for a nice long time. It was the first time I've been able to get out since before break, and in my pre-Edinburgh frame of mind tennis had taken a backseat for what were more pressing issues to me at the time. But now that I'm starting to get in the swing of things here, it felt good to relax and work on my swings, even if I was a little rusty. It was something familiar. I joined up with the social hits sector of the tennis club here too, which is once a week and was supposed to start today, but it got rained out sadly. Hopefully it will happen next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment