Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day One in Edinburgh

Slept 17 out of the last 24 hours. Excellent.

Today I walked around the city a bit, trying to get a feel for the campus and general neighborhood of where I'll be living for the next five months. I didn't go inside anywhere, but I visited the castle and St Giles' Cathedral on the Royal Mile. I also found an armory, which contained a lot of cool armor and swords. On my way to the Royal Mile, I passed the Elephant House too, with a big sign in the window saying "Birthplace of Harry Potter," because that is apparently where J.K. Rowling first began writing the series. That was unexpected, and quite exciting!

My first impression of Prince's Street was a man standing in the middle of the road with a sign that said, "The world ends next year, on May 21st! Proof here." Looking around a bit more, I was met with the sight of hoards of people, which I had been expecting. I walked the street for a while anyways. Almost every other store was a shoe store. There was one sports store - being on the lookout for a place to buy tennis supplies, I of course went in. Although they had a tennis racket in the window and an Andy Murray ad inside, they actually had barely anything for tennis, which was disappointing. So I went next door and bought a cellphone.

I went on a bit more, until I got into what seemed like a more complicated part of town, when I took a different road around the other side of the castle back to my dorm. And that was the end of day one.

No comments:

Post a Comment